After saying his name for over a year, Candyman is finally here. The horror sequel from filmmaker Nia DaCosta opens in theaters this weekend, after being delayed for over a year thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It has been a really, really long wait for this movie. But despite how long it’s taken to arrive, Candyman is finally here. Partly a reboot and partly a sequel to the original 1992 movie of the same name, Candyman reimagines the story of the supernatural serial killer in modern times.
“Candyman 2021” Movie Synopsis & Cast Pictures
Candyman is a 2021 American supernatural slasher film directed by Nia DaCosta and written by Jordan Peele, Win Rosenfeld, and DaCosta. The film is a direct sequel to the 1992 film of the same name and the fourth film in the Candyman film series, based on the short story “The Forbidden” by Clive Barker. The film stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Teyonah Parris, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, and Colman Domingo. Vanessa Williams, Tony Todd, and Virginia Madsen also briefly reprise their roles from the original film.
Plans for another Candyman film initially began in the early 2000s, with original film director Bernard Rose wanting to make a prequel film about Candyman and Helen’s love. However, the studio turned it down and the project entered development hell. By 2018, Peele signed on as producer for a new film using his company, Monkeypaw Productions and later, in November that same year, it was confirmed that Peele would produce the film with Universal Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and partnered with Rosenfeld to co-produce the film while DaCosta signed on as director. Principal photography for the film began in August 2019 and wrapped in September 2019 in Chicago, Illinois.
Candyman was theatrically released in the United States on August 27, 2021, by Universal Pictures. Its release date was delayed three times from an original June 2020 date due to concerns regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. The film received positive reviews from critics, who praised DaCosta’s direction and the blend of social commentary with horror.
Candyman 2021 Cast
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Anthony McCoy / Candyman, a visual artist who becomes obsessed with the Candyman legend, unaware of his connection to him. He was the baby who was saved by Helen Lyle from Candyman 30 years ago.
- Teyonah Parris as Brianna Cartwright, Anthony’s girlfriend and an art gallery director.
- Hannah Love Jones as young Brianna Cartwright.
- Nathan Stewart-Jarrett as Troy Cartwright, Brianna’s brother.
- Colman Domingo as William Burke, a Cabrini Green resident who tells Anthony about the Candyman legend.
- Kyle Kaminsky as Grady Greenberg, Troy’s boyfriend.
- Vanessa Williams as Anne-Marie McCoy, Anthony’s estranged mother who believed in the Candyman legend while living in Cabrini Green. Years ago, she shared her experience of fearing him to Helen Lyle.
- Rebecca Spence as Finley Stephens, an art critic.
- Michael Hargrove as Sherman Fields / Candyman, a hook-handed man who was killed by racist police officers in the 1970s after being falsely accused of planting razorblades in candy.
- Brian King as Clive Privler
- Carl Clemons-Hopkins as Jameson
- Christiana Clark as Danielle Harrington
- Torrey Hanson as Jack Hyde
- Breanna Lind as Annika
- Cedric Mays as Gil Cartwright
- Nancy Pender as TV News Anchor
- Pam Jones as Devlin Sharpe
- Virginia Madsen as the voice of Helen Lyle, a white graduate student who was able to defeat the Candyman after sacrificing herself to save Anthony 30 years ago.
- Tony Todd as Daniel Robitaille / Candyman, a vengeful spirit who was killed as the result of an interracial love affair during the 19th century. He now appears when someone summons him by saying his name five times while facing a mirror.
Is Candyman Streaming Online?
At the moment, no. While a lot of the movies that premiered in 2021 have been released simultaneously on both streaming and in theaters, Candyman is going to be arriving exclusively in theaters, at least for now. Of course, there’s always the chance that the movie could get a streaming release further down the line. But for now, you’ll have to head to the theaters to watch the film.
WHERE TO WATCH CANDYMAN 2021:
Right now, the only place to watch Candyman is in a movie theater when it opens nationwide on Friday, August 27. You can find a showing of the movie at a theater near you here.
WILL CANDYMAN BE ON HBO MAX?
No. Candyman is a Universal movie, not a Warner Bros. movie, and therefore will not be streaming on HBO Max when it opens in theaters. While HBO Max—which is owned by Warner Media—has been the streaming home for Warner Bros. movies like The Suicide Squad, it will not be the streaming home for Universal movies like Candyman.
IS CANDYMAN ON NETFLIX?
No. Candyman (2021) is not on Netflix, and likely will not be on Netflix any time soon. However, if you’re craving some horror, you can watch the first Conjuring movie on Netflix.
WHEN WILL CANDYMAN BE STREAMING?
The Candyman digital release date has not yet been announced, and it’s hard to say when exactly Candyman will be on VOD.
Universal has a deal that allows the studio to release its films on premium video-on-demand—meaning you would be able to rent Candyman for $20—after at least 17 days in theaters, provided that the movie makes less than $50 million at the box office its opening weekend. If it hits the $50 million mark, then the movie gets at least 31 days in theaters.
However, just because the studio can release Candyman after 17 days in theaters doesn’t necessarily mean that it will. The recent Universal title Old did not make $50 million at the box office its opening weekend, but the studio opted to keep the movie in theaters beyond 17 days—it’s still not available on digital.
Perhaps, now that more people are vaccinated and willing to go to the movie theater, Universal will want to keep Candyman in theaters for at least 31 days, no matter how well it does at the box office, in which case you wouldn’t be able to rent Candyman until the end of September.
All of the above is speculation, so if you want to make sure you don’t miss Candyman, your best bet is to mask up and go see it in a movie theater. In the mean time, you can watch the first Candyman film for free on Peacock, or you can rent or buy it on iTunes, Vudu, YouTube, and more.